SteadyBlogging on Twitter (SteadyTweets?)

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Revisiting the Civil War

There's a growing anger here in Blue America directed towards the South. Krops forwarded me this link this morning. And that was just hours after I heard this perspective on KQED this morning:

Tue, Nov 9, 2004
Look Away, Dixieland

Ex-Southener Malcolm Maclachlan wonders if the results of last week's election suggest the country would be better off if Dixie had won the Civil War after all.
Host: Malcolm Maclachlan

Follow the link and click on the "Listen" link to hear it.

I was going to refrain from posting the fuckthesouth.com link, out of a sense of decorum. But I forwarded it to a few friends, and two responses that I got back convinced me to post it. The 1st one read: "my sentiments exactly, I love it." The 2nd one:
"i'm in; i would support the forced secession of those latter parts. when that lobby picks up steam, i'll contribute...man that guy is angry! and don't be a sell-out! post that shit. blog it!"
I couldn't back down from that, so I had to blog it.

Seriously: if that's how a lot of us feel, it has implications. Implications, as I wrote in my initial post-election entry, for how "united" the United States will be.

As Arun suggested to me last week, tables may be turning w/ respect to states' rights. It makes sense that the progressive elements in this country will start to seek some autonomy with respect to social issues like gay marriage and abortion (if a Bush-packed Supreme Court seeks to overturn Roe v. Wade, as some of Bush's "Christian" supporters are already manuevering towards; for more on Dobson's exchange with Stephanopoulos, see this TPM post). OTOH, the reactionaries who have currently have control of the federal government will seek to limit that autonomy.

As I mentioned earlier, it's time for us to study federalism.

A crazy coincidence regarding that: after adding The Federalist Papers ("Classics of Social and Political Thought" anyone?) to my post-election reading list, I revisited this essential profile of Karl Rove, That was written by Nicholas Lemann, and appeared in the New Yorker in May 2003. I'd read it back then, but I didn't recall that Lemann closes the piece by examining Rove's reading list--and discussing a few of The Federalist Papers with Mr. Rove.

(Google turned up this irony: "For many years, [Leo] Strauss taught Classics of Social and Political Thought, one of the University’s most famous core classes." That's from this Maroon article, headlined "Kristol will speak on U.S. policy." More--much more--on Strauss and the UofC neo-con connection in future posts.)

No comments: